Thursday, March 11, 2010

Roni Horn at ICA - 3/11/10

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Roni Horn exhibit. I hadn't expected to be so drawn in to her photos of water - their minimal color made them seem even more sensuous. I am not sure I liked the lengthy writing mounted at the base of each one - the distant views were more compelling. Afterwards, though, I thought the writing did add to the work: that it provided a conversation on top of my own reaction, and the words dropped away as I stepped back, so they were easily ignored. I loved the many levels the work could be appreciated - each piece was strong on its own, and then could be played off against so many similar pieces, especially the photos of the face as weather, and the large photos of water. Each room in itself felt like another body of water with individual works easily flowing into one another. I thought of how I intend to use cumulative effect in my work - and it was inspiring to see it done well.

No comments:

Post a Comment