Thursday, September 23, 2010
meeting with Isabel
I had a wonderful meeting with Isabel today.
We mostly talked about my yellow tower piece. Her response was very positive.
1. She thought it worked as sculpture - held interest from all 3 angles
2. She enjoyed the free form aspects of it and yet thought there were areas that needed finishing : sanding and paint; sewing. At the same time, pinning to the wall is fine - the question is how much to hold in place and how much to allow to shift for each showing
3. Attention to the planes: the back and floor need to be considered. I will get another piece of homasote to paint white to consider part of the piece for the back. The floor? A stand? Flooring?
4.Lighting. At present I am using an external source to highlight the lower part. Do I want to include a light within the piece?
As for my more landscape-like piece, Isabel felt
1. it was less finished
2. it might benefit from being hung lower
3. move my studio around (get rid of the bookshelves) to give myself more space to work larger on both pieces
The light box pieces:
1. She loved
2. The lightbox itself- old and wooden, is great - can I find more?
3. How to attach the cloth (velcro?) so that the boxes can be mounted on the wall
Also look up Pippolotti Rist
And keep going!