Friday, August 27, 2010

burning





I thought I would experiment with burning my organza again. I had done some burning in my pre-AIB work, but thought of going back to it as a way to expose layers of color. I also wanted the method that lacked control - happenstance, the incidental, the accident - I wanted that in my work, just as it is in nature. I also wanted fragility: for the cloth and the light to do the work, with the barely controlled burns sharpening those 2 elements.
Another reason that burning came to mind was that I wanted the burns to create negative space so that the dyed color was describing the surrounding space. In this way the burns/negative space/nothing was the object. The light itself shining through became the object - which intrigued me.

No comments:

Post a Comment