Thursday, November 12, 2009

whorls






Over the last weeks I have been dying lots of cloth to make many whorls. I use the very soft sueded silk and roll it with the stiffer organza so it stands more upright.
I was specifically looking for how the grey worked to enhance the other colors - and also the richness of the darks working against the lights.
Unfortunately my camera is quite inaccurate in capturing the subtleness of the colors.
Last night I was really excited by a discussion at the Boston Architectural College on the Meaning of Place. I was particularly impressed by Mikyoung Kim who has done outdoor work using water and stone in "resculpting" a river that runs through Seoul. Afterwards, I began to see my work as landscape - or in a landscape. The last piece, I am using the reflective material both as some form of metal (the vertical shape) and water (the horizontal). I think of the whorls as sculptural pieces that might blow or spin in the wind.

2 comments:

  1. Can you go put one in the wind and, post a pix to the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mylar. See 1970's public space art.

    ReplyDelete