Thursday, February 11, 2010


I've spent a good deal of my time lately researching for my crit theory paper. In the studio, I began to make these "silk-mache" half balls (about tennis ball size) - I was thinking about Hannah's idea of using rabbit skin glue to stiffen the silk, but am actually using a Golden product: GAC 400 that is specifically made to stiffen fabric. The stiff silk is kind of translucent still, which I love. When I put a few of the half balls together, they reminded me of poppies. So, today I dyed more shades of red to multiply my numbers of poppies. I also dyed more expanses of blue yesterday to keep expanding my "ocean". It is quite a bit larger than before (compare to photo on previous blog)- on the way to what I hope is much larger. The sewing takes a lot of time, but I have thought of a way to build the support boxes more efficiently. I'll report back on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment